Art Pottery, Politics and Food
Sunday, October 17, 2004
 
The Profane Heart
of George W. Jesus



A friend presented me with a Xerox copy of a parody of the 23rd Psalm currently making the rounds in Cincinnati area offices.
Though unsigned, a quick Google reveals this thread from brokenuniverse.com, which attributes the parody to “a 70 year-old supermarket bagger”:

Bush is my shepherd, I shall be in want.
He maketh me to lie down on park benches.
He leadeth me beside the still factories.
He restoreth my doubts about the Party.
He leadeth me onto the paths of unemployment for His cronies' sake.
Yea, though no weapons of mass destruction have been found,
He makest me continue to fear Evil.
His tax cuts for the rich and His deficit spending discomfort me.
He anointest me with never-ending debt.
My days of savings and assets are finished.
Surely poverty and hard living shall follow me all the days of his administration,
And my jobless child shall dwell in my basement forever.

The parody is a fitting companion piece, this fine, if chilly, Sunday morning, for Ron Suskind’s scary New York Times Magazine article on the Crawford Messiah:

Three months ago, for instance, in a private meeting with Amish farmers in Lancaster County, Pa., Bush was reported to have said, ''I trust God speaks through me.'' In this ongoing game of winks and nods, a White House spokesman denied the president had specifically spoken those words, but noted that ''his faith helps him in his service to people”… when the moment came in the V.I.P. tent to shake Bush's hand, Billington [a 52 year-old fundamentalist Bush supporter from Poplar Bluff, Missouri] remembered being reserved. '''I really thank God that you're the president' was all I told him.'' Bush, he recalled, said, ''Thank you.''
''He knew what I meant,'' Billington said. ''I believe he's an instrument of God, but I have to be careful about what I say, you know, in public.''

Modified Image: emmerich1.com , Reuters

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger