Art Pottery, Politics and Food
Friday, November 07, 2003
 
Lynch'ed?
What prompted this past week’s black bag job on Senator Rockefeller’s office waste can, the contrived Confederate flag debate dust-up, the relentless Drudge-Reagan movie hysteria and the timing of Zell Miller’s confused endorsement of the current White House resident?
With their trademark Stalinist determination the last vestiges of ancient colonial imperialism and their toadies in the flawed marketplace are suddenly, now, generating great billowing clouds of obscuring smoke.
Why?

Slowly, I started to see a reason for the recent and extra loud right wing clamoring in the advance publicity for PFC Jessica Lynch’s first public interview next week.
Are the powerful men of the Bush administration afraid of one brave young woman from the hills of West Virginia and what she might say? Or, afraid of the conclusions some Americans might draw?
As if in answer to my thoughts, yesterday, the New York Daily News attempted a little negative spin toward PFC Lynch’s book:

Jessica Lynch…will open up big-time in November. The former prisoner of war, turned hero, talks with ABC News' Diane Sawyer on a "PrimeTime" special to be telecast Nov. 11 - Veterans Day - and then she'll appear with NBC News' Katie Couric, on Nov. 12. She'll also visit CBS' "Late Show" on Nov. 14 and CNN's "Larry King Live" on Nov. 17. Why? A book deal, of course. A day after Lynch appears on "PrimeTime" with Sawyer, Alfred A. Knopf will release "I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story," written by Rick Bragg.

Do you hear the faint echoes of the usually reliable money-hungry-publicity-hound attack strategy?
The Australian paper The Age doesn’t mince words with the seriousness of information to be presented next week:

The scars on Lynch's body and the medical records indicate she was anally raped, and "fill in the blanks of what Jessi lived through on the morning of March 23, 2003," [former NYT reporter and Lynch book author Rick] Bragg wrote.

This morning, a New York Times' quote from the ABC interview indicates Lynch’s reaction to the initial government reports about her capture:

It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about. Only I would have been able to know that, because the other four people on my vehicle aren't here to tell the story. So I would have been the only one able to say, yeah, I went down shooting. But I didn't.

Of her rescue:

I don't know why they filmed it, or why they say the things they, you know, all I know was that I was in that hospital hurting. I needed help.

I’m thinking the President will be giving his love-me-I’m-hurt face a serious workout next week.

Photo: Reuters


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger